The Chicago Grassroots Curriculum Taskforce (CGCT) is working to revolutionize the traditional educational model of the classroom learning by infusing the curriculum with local and relevant content from students' lives -- through their families, cultures, histories, arts, communities, and experiences. As a locally based national clearinghouse, the CGCT seeks to bring students, parents, educators, and elders to the table to compile, publish, and advocate for these culturally relevant materials in our schools (grades K-16).
- Co-Authoring & Publishing; an action based, interdisciplinary, skills-driven, and college preparatory curriculum with a focus on Chicago Hoods - all contributions welcome!
- Create a Clearing House; uploading high quality curriculum
- Grassroots Archive; imagine a website with historic and current documents, photographs, videos, timelines, student work, letters and more. The website is coming soon!
- Over 1000 titles of essential social science, history, and current events titles covering local , national and global topics and struggles
- 500 + educational materials on literacy, cultural relevancy, critical educational issues, education history, philosophy of education, math and science integration, brain-based learning, grassroots curricular guides, instructional guides high quality assessments and more
- Over 250 high quality children's books and young adult literature including excellent historical fiction, non-fiction, and culturally relevant titles
- Growing collection of Chicago-based primary sources including on the Young Lords, Black Panthers, Keep Strong magazine, Harold Washington's administration,the Heart of Uptown Coalition, and Chi Town Low Down newspaper.
- Growing collection of grassroots social justice publications (magazines, pamphlets, newspapers, brochures) from around the nation and world
- Digital files of extensive high school curriculum in U.S. History along with Social Justice 101, World Studies, Intercultural Studies, Mass Media, Sociology, and Environmental Science.
- Over 100 excellent social justice, historical, and current DVD titles, along with scores of high quality VHS titles, audio tapes, and records.